Saturday, July 19, 2008

You Look So Defeated...

...Lying there in your new twin-sized bed. I think that Death Cab for Cutie has surprisingly been my new favorite band of the year. If anyone had told me that around this time last year, I probably wouldn't have believed them. To be honest, when I was first introduced to them by my now-room mates, I didn't really Death Cab at all. The music sounded too low key, the drums and guitars were produced weird, and Ben Gibbard's voice was kind of annoying. To me, they were just some alternative band that seemed to be really popular among somewhat-artsy and suburban-trendy twenty-year-olds.

But then something changed. Something happened during the fall semester that made me fall in love with this band. I couldn't get enough of "Title and Registration," "Transatlanticism," or "Brothers on a Hotel Bed." Every song just seems to be layered with beautiful melodies and the smallest musical details and idiosyncrasies. And Ben's songwriting? absolutely amazing! The way he is able to be so poignant in capturing human emotions astounds me. How could anyone not like this band???

But what changed? A year ago, I didn't appreciate Death Cab at all. Now I can't get enough of them. I'm not exactly sure why, but I feel that constant exposure to their music might have had something to do with it. Before I met some of my friends at college, I had a different view as to what I thought good music was. Last year, my idea of good music ranged anywhere from
loud guitars and ear-piercing screams to heart-felt anthems and the occasional white-boy hip hop. I had never honestly listened the likes of Radiohead, Coldplay, or Simon & Garfunkel until my friends started introducing these different artists to me. I wasn't to interested in most of the bands at first, but after being exposed to them for while I began to gain some appreciation for them. Whether I realized it or not, my views were changing. And the influences of my friends had a lot to do with it.

I've begun to understand that the people I place myself around really do make a lasting impression on my life. In a way, they help me to determine the way I see the world. The influence they've had on my change (or more like expansion) of musical taste is a small example. In these past two years of college, I've seen my worldviews, theological views, ethics, and moral standards be challenged by the influence of my friends and contemporaries on campus. Sometimes it's been a welcomed challenge. Other times it's been a struggle, trying to reconcile my views with others'. Sometimes I'm forced to question whether my beliefs about something are right or true, but other times my beliefs are strengthened and encouraged. Dealing with this stuff can be really confusing.

But in the end, it all comes down to one question. Are the people who I'm letting influence me pointing me to Christ? If they're not, then there's a problem. I'm warned in Scripture about false prophets and the wisdom of men, about well-intentioned people who sadly miss the mark. I need to be surrounded by people who will help me walk down this narrow path called righteousness. Granted, all people are fallen and will sometimes fill me with not so great influences; but part of learning under God's grace is helping each other correct our flaws. The individuals that I let into my life will eventually help to determine the kind of influence I will be in others' lives. The Body of Christ is a fine thread, a chain reaction (or to put it in terms of a better Illustrator: the branches of a tree). What's poured into one person will be poured into another. Our influences reach far beyond ourselves and the people immediately in our lives. Am I being filled with hope? truth? faith? Love? And am I pouring these same attributes into the people around me? Is Christ alive in me and am I letting Him make Himself alive in others? I hope so.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! i'm looking forward to another year of influencing and being influenced by my 3 brothers... the bear, caleb, and my favorite mexican-american hermano, jojo.

Anonymous said...

and i'll also say this:

I think on the surface, it's easy to say that someone has changed (or "been influenced") for the better or for the worse. While that may be true... creating two categories creates a generalization. I think we have different ways that we need to grow. I think there are things that I need to learn from different people at school, and there's probably things that other people will learn from being around me.

when someone comes into your life who could potentially influence you to become a person that you don't want to become, it will force you to wrestle with your faith. In order to stay strong in your convictions, you will have to know why your beliefs/values are important. If you really believe that they're important, than stand by them, and try to influence the other person to at least understand your perspective. But if you're not sure why you believe something, than it's probably a good thing that there is a dissonance there... because someone else may influence you toward truth that you can understand and use in your own life.

i don't know if that made any sense.

Anonymous said...

i just realized in that last post that i used the word "than" incorrectly a couple of times. It should read "then". sorry.

Anonymous said...

I would have to say, in regards to challenges of the faith, is that college has helped me strip down my faith completely. Something that has really helped for me is to place only the most important aspects of Christianity at the center of my being. So things like believing in the healing sacrifice of Jesus become pretty dang important while things like whether or not the Genesis account of creation is literal or whether homosexuality is wrong become far less important.

For me, at least, it's helped me a lot to approach faith in this kind of way. I mean, there's not a lot out there that could make me sincerely stop believing in Jesus. So when I have a fluid opinion on whether or not God has my life planned to a T, or whether heaven is exclusive, it keeps so many crises of faith from surfacing. If you allow the lesser aspects of Christianity to be questioned, it opens up whole new dimensions of the faith that you never thought possible. Kind of like seeing a multi-faceted diamond from several angles.

I mean the way I see it is, no one is ever going to have it completely right. The Bible can be interpreted so many different ways that it's mystifying. But there are certain things that are pretty cut and dry. God created us all. Jesus came to earth, lived among us, died, and rose again. We can be saved through this. Beyond that you can argue pretty much everything. So yeah I hold certain beliefs, but it doesn't hurt my faith if they are questioned or even changed because the only thing that's really important is that central truth. The way i figure is that if I put my faith in Jesus and spend my life trying to love others as he would have loved them, God probably wouldn't sweat it if I believed some slightly irregular things. He is a forgiving God after all.

Anyways, this was the conclusion of faith that I came to after some time and reflection and the wise words of Doctors Richardson and Sonnenberg.